Thursday, January 6, 2011

Fire Lookout Views

One of the fun things we like to do in our area, when weather and road conditions cooperate, is to drive up the narrow, winding, switch-backed, rocky roads that take one to "the top of the world", so to speak.  A series of towers, with overlapping vistas, keeps a watch out during the fire season for "smokes", or signs of wildfire.  These shown here are located on the Plumas National Forest and the Tahoe National Forest 

Most of these lookouts are "out of commission".  There are several on the Plumas that are still active, and I will be posting more pictures as I dig into my files and explore some more.   There are several that are available in season for rental as a fun camping experience.

Another fun site is Keith Sutter's lookout photos!  We met him when we were exploring Pilot Peak Lookout back in 2002 or 2003, I think.  He took a family favorite shot of Grant, Ashley, and I using my camera.  (Edit note: add photo here. ;))




 Pilot Peak Lookout
(views)






You can just see the lookout!

Red Rock Lookout




Kettle Rock Lookout

Mills Peak Lookout





Saddle Back Lookout
(Tahoe National Forest)

1 comment:

  1. ok when i come out to visit i definitely want to do this! will you hold my hand though, cause I'm afraid of heights! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete